Frequently asked questions
How can I renew my loans?
You can renew loans from home by logging in from the top of the page.
- You will need your user ID and password to log in.
- You can renew all loans or just specific ones.
- After renewing loans, please check that the due dates have been updated successfully.
- Please check your contact information as well if it has not been updated since the launch of the new library system.
In addition, you can renew loans by phone or by visiting any of the Vaara-kirjastot libraries.
Why can't I renew my loans?
You will not be able to renew loans if
- You have more than 5€ in overdue fees. Fees are added immediately in real time in the new library system even before loans are renewed or returned.
- The item has been reserved by another customer.
- You have already renewed the item five (5) times. In that case, it must be returned to the library before you can borrow it again if it has not been reserved by another customer.
How can I reserve items online?
- When you have found the item you wish to reserve, click ‘Place hold'.
- The online library will ask you to log in to your account if you are not logged in yet. You will need your user ID and password to log in.
- Choose the pick-up location and click ‘Place hold'.
- Check your contact information so the pick-up notice will be sent to the correct phone number or email address.
Why can't I log in with my old user identification?
You should be able to log in to the new library system with your old user ID. If it does not work for some reason you will be issued a new library card or password the next time you visit any of the Vaara-kirjastot libraries. A new user ID can only be given in person at the library for security reasons. It cannot be done via phone or email. If your user ID does not work please contact the library if you wish to renew loans, reserve items or update your contact information.
Why do I suddenly receive due date reminders two days before the due date?
Because the library system has been changed, patron messaging preferences have been reset, which is why advance notices are being sent two days before loans expire. You can change this setting by logging in to your account from the top of the screen and clicking the ‘your messaging' tab. Then choose your preference from the ‘Days in advance' section. It is also a good idea to check your other settings and preferences while you are logged in.
I wish to change language in the online library. How do I do that?
The language in the online library will be your browser's default language. You can choose a different language from the bottom of the screen.
I had saved my ‘shelves' in the old system. Have they disappeared?
Unfortunately, they have not been transferred to the new library system. However, there is a similar feature called ‘my lists', where you can create private and public lists of library material.
The library notified of this change on its website and at the library. Regrettably, the information did not reach every customer.
Why can't I see my old loans?
The default setting is that old loans are not saved unless the customer specifically wants them to be saved. You can change this preference by logging in to your account and clicking ‘your privacy'. Then set your privacy rule as ‘forever' and click submit. After this change, your future loans will be saved in ‘your reading history'. However, the system cannot retrieve the loans you had before making this change and add them to your history.
What are tags?
Tags are keywords that are used to describe library material. Tags have more variety than the index and subject terms used by information specialists and cataloguers. You can add your own tags to items by clicking ‘add tag(s)'. This will make it easier for you to find your own search results later on because they will appear in ‘your tags'. Tag cloud will list the most popular tags used by other customers. By clicking any of the tags, you will be given a list of the items that are tagged with that particular phrase.